Go for rides and make new friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go for rides and make new friends

Sydney Vulcan Riders - Club Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Warning re 'Safety Cameras'

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ed

Ed

Warning re 'Safety Cameras' Empty
PostSubject: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 1:13 pm

This was posted at NSWR. Reposted FYI.

Just a little warning that the red light camera on Pennant Hills Road south bound at the intersection with Beecroft Road has been upgraded to a 'safety' camera.

What does this mean? Well apparently it is now a speed camera as well as a red light camera. It also appears they don't have to (or haven't bothered to) put up the traditional 3 warning signs for this camera.

While stopped for those lights I saw no less than three people get flashed... and it was less than a minute wait! Speed limit is 70km/h, 40 during school periods.

Take care out there.

I found these links which may help avoid any misunderstandings:

RTA info on safety cameras

Locations of the initial 50 safety camera installations (including Pennant Hills Road)

Speed camera locations

How speed cameras work
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 9:59 pm

Very helpful, what will they think of next.....of course you should not be speeding or going through red lights although I think the sign should say revenue camera ahead.
Back to top Go down
MrKruser
Admin
MrKruser

PostSubject: Re: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks Ed.

They really should give us more warning, if safety is something they really want.

If they want more money, it would be a different story.
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:23 pm

As you know I got booked at 71 in a 60 zone on the pac hwy. I showed you the camera yesterday. It is those sort of low speed, incidental oversights that are getting ppl the most.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 am

I think one may have got me near the bay walk in drumoyne it flashed twice but I know i didn't run the light and couldn't see anyone behind me. I went back later to check and it says red light camera. Guess I will wait and see what comes in the post.
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 am

I wrote to the RTA re signage. Their response is:

Dear Mr Chapman

Thank you for your email dated 3 January 2010 regarding the new Safety Cameras.

In June 2009, the then Minister for Roads Michael Daley, introduced changes to the Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) Act 1999 to improve safety on rural and urban roads throughout New South Wales. The changes include the replacement of wet-film red light cameras with new digital red light and speed capable technology. These new digital red light/speed capable cameras are called Safety Cameras.

The RTA commenced the progressive activation of the Safety Cameras on 18 December 2009. Warning letters will be generated for a short period at all new camera installation sites. The grace period has been established to encourage motorists to slow down and comply with traffic light rules, prior to infringements being enforced.

Please be advised that 'Safety Camera Ahead' advisory signage is not a legal requirement in NSW however a single sign is located on each road approaching the intersection.

For further information on Safety Cameras, please log onto the RTA website on http://whome.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/safetycameras/index.html.

All fines from traffic and road safety offences are collected by NSW Treasury and redistributed into a range of community facilities including schools, hospitals and transport, including road funding. As such, funds being collected from the community are returned to the community.

We trust this information is of assistance.

Compliance and Enforcement Branch
Roads and Traffic Authority
Back to top Go down
MrKruser
Admin
MrKruser

PostSubject: Re: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 11:57 am

That's a great respond.

I am impressed.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 5:43 am

I checked the camera i was talking about and it has been changed to a "safety camera"
Thanks Ed for bringing this up as i ride this way home from work every night and am occasionally slightly over the speed limit.
The flash was sometime back and I have not received anything, maybe they only just introduced it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warning re 'Safety Cameras'   Warning re 'Safety Cameras' Empty

Back to top Go down

Warning re 'Safety Cameras'
Page 1 of 1