Go for rides and make new friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go for rides and make new friends

Sydney Vulcan Riders - Club Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What do people want from this site

Go down 
+2
aj1249
Ed
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ed

Ed

What do people want from this site Empty
PostSubject: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 9:01 am

I'm just curious as to what people want from the SVR site and what would encourage them to be more active in discussions, ride participation and the planning of rides. Harry has gone to a lot of trouble to establish the site and more participation would be nice. I'm sure Harry would appreciate the feedback.
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 11:15 am

Ed,
I think the problems are 2 fold, we need more members to liven the site up but we need to liven the site up
to attract new members. Personally i try to reply to most topics posted here but as for rides for me having 5 kids makes it
very difficult to get time away. i am a member of a number of other forums but dont get the chance to ride with them
as much as i would like either.

Aj
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi guys,
Good topic Ed and thanks for your comments AJ. I sometimes think the 3 of us are the only ones that actually post stuff up etc. I think it would be great to have more members for a start. I know it is for Vulcans however there doesn't seem to a lot around. I was thinking we actively seek other cruiser members to increase membership and hopefully result in more patronage on rides.
For my part I do what I can with chit chat, posting rides and the like although it is a disheartening at times. AJ I can completely understand your position with 5 kids it must be difficult.
What I have noticed is when there is a ride it is somewhat confused as to what and where we are going which I think puts some people off.

As a suggestion why not open the site up to regular members to contribute to its construction as in area for discussion, photos, banners and the like just a thought. It seems to be getting quieter and quiter in here though and soon my fear is there will be no one here.
Back to top Go down
roddy27

roddy27

PostSubject: re site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 1:02 pm

as a relatively new member i find the site could be more user friendly.

we need to get the chat section opened up so when you log in you can see who is on already .

we also need to get hold of all members and see why they are not joining the forum/rides cause all i see is the same 5-6 guys on here but theres 45 members ,who are they do they still have their bike or was it just a 1 off join to see what happens .

maybe we need to post 3 definite club rides per year on certain dates so people like AJ who dont know anything about contraception can plan around 1 or more of these dates. then we can plan other rides like we are doing now in between these dates.

its probably too hard for some to comite to rides with out a lot of notice .

but hey i might be wrong and if you think i am let me know
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 1:19 pm

I have a TV isnt that enough!!!!!!!

Seriously though the fact we are a Vulcan riders club limits our membership, the fact we are a Sydney Vulcan Riders club
limits our member base even more

We have had a number of members from interstate plus a few i know that have sold their bikes and moved on

If we want to be bigger then our target market needs to be bigger! How i'm not sure but its a catch 22 situation
if we want to be unique then we will be small thats just an unfortunate fact.

Aj
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Good points boys,
I like the niche part of it and its great when we are all out on the same bikes.
Maybe for bigger more regular events I will stick with NSWR affraid did I say that haha, but a great bunch of guys over there as well. Like a sister club haha.
5 kids AJ geez I'm worried about one and one on the way, clearly you need more TV's in every room Razz
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm

stew066 wrote:
Hi guys, AJ I can completely understand your position with 5 kids it must be difficult.

What I have noticed is when there is a ride it is somewhat confused as to what and where we are going which I think puts some people off.

As a suggestion why not open the site up to regular members to contribute to its construction as in area for discussion, photos, banners and the like just a thought. It seems to be getting quieter and quiter in here though and soon my fear is there will be no one here.

My fear is that Melbourne will seem busier than us. All good comments, Stew/Aj. I think we can do better than 3 dedicated rides a year though Roddy. Also, from the homepage, at the bottom, you can see who is currently online.

If the rides are well thought out, planned with enough notice to suit good folk like Aj, it should be fine.

We have debated the merits of extending the membership to other brands (but still cruisers) before with no change. I still admire the uniqueness of a Vulcan club, so long as it is supported by exisiting members with a strategy to capture more vulcan riders. I would like to see more specific categories from the homepage. I often wonder where a post should go and usually just put it in 'stuff'. Harry, what are your thoughts and where do you want the site to be in 12 months?
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:51 pm

stew066 wrote:
5 kids AJ geez I'm worried about one and one on the way, clearly you need more TV's in every room Razz

Hasn't she told you yet Stew? Quads on the way.
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Ed wrote:
stew066 wrote:

Hasn't she told you yet Stew? Quads on the way.

Well i am trying mate but odds are against me at the moment, 1 or 2 more would be fantastic but i am happy with the 5 i have

Aj
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Back on topic, I am sure we have a decent relationship with our dealers so why not get them to give or display our cards
for their customers to get / see when buying or servicing their vulcans. We all live / work in the target areas.

Also we need to attend more bike shows as a group and maybe have a banner we can hang to show who we are
and how to join us

Aj
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Places like MCAS have been ok with our NSWR cards on the counter and I expect other smaller outlets would to. But Sydney City M/C won't do it. They're argument is if they do it for us everyone will want to. Hello, how about giving your customers a noticeboard so they can find out about m/c related clubs and issues that affect them. Poor effort if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 12:29 am

Hi guys, good topic and well worth pursuing. I for one like the niche quality of this group of riders. I went for a ride to Gosford on Sunday and the road was packed with groups of impatient boy racers madly overtaking everyone. It was dangerous and unnerving. This is my fear regarding large group riding and I really dont enjoy it. My initial interest in this site was to gain knowledge to keep my older bike going however I am more interested now in riding than servcing my bike. Some flexibility in what day we go riding would be good as Sunday is not always available. Also some overnight weekend runs would be good, up Saturday and back Sunday etc. Doesnt have to be expensive or sophisticated. Am happy to camp out etc.

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://ddperrett@iprimus .com.au
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:46 am

Good points Dave. I would be happy with some over nighters every so often.
Dont get me wrong either I like it being Vulcans,just wish we could get some more involved and sharing ideas etc.

Harry are you here?
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:25 am

I'll get some more SVR cards done and will share them on the ride on the 2nd May. Then tag as many Vulcans as you can.
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 am

Great work Ed, I have approached my local dealer, he doesnt want to have 25 clubs cluttering up his desk but is considering
either putting a card in with each owners manual for each vulcan he sells and maybe with the service book when customers
get them serviced

Or he will do your idea of a notice board for all clubs to put cards and ride info on

Aj
Back to top Go down
roddy27

roddy27

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 3:12 pm

now this is more like it everyone throwing idaes around.
this is what we need everyone having an imput.
i was up the old road on sat and there was quite a few vulcans out on the road
but none stopped in at road warriors cafe .i did see a notice board there so we could put up some flyers there and at the PITS.
i think the shows are a good idea if we can get most of us there on the day.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 7:49 am

Good idea Rod I have seen the notice board there too (road warriors) and always check it out. Haven't noticed one at PITS but am sure there would be one around. Flyers are a good idea for this sort of thing. I will see if I can come with some sort of design from the patch design.
Always up for a bike show boys. Bankstown was great recently.
Back to top Go down
Pirtek888

Pirtek888

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:42 am

As a Newcastle lad I am at least 90mins away from Sydney just to join the start of most rides. Since joining I have only been on two SVR rides: the Palm Beach tour and the last Hunter Valley trip. Enjoyed both thoroughly and really liked everyone I met on those days. Great bunch of guys and gals. Very Happy

I have three teenage kids which don't require as much attention as AJ's youngsters, but as a committed Dad I like to be part of their lives and activities as much as I can. My biggest problem is work related: as a shift worker, I only get two weekends off every 8 weeks. Often, when I do get the time off I am committed to a family event which has been arranged specifically to coincide with my day off! So my time on the bike is limited. I am also a member of the Ulysses Club plus another Hunter Valley forum. I try to make some rides with them when I can, but that is also a struggle. For example, I am off on 02 May but I have booked to attend a Ulysses function in Moree that weekend! My wife and I are heading off Friday and home Sunday.

I also like the "niche" value of the SVR concept but I would welcome any other cruisers as well. They key for me is a relaxed riding style, which is more common among cruisers. I enjoy the scenery, the road and the experience. Head down staring at white lines scraping my knee pads is not my style.

The best chance I have to make rides is when I have plenty of notice which allows me to arrange annual leave. So, overnighters (particularly during the week!) are great for me!

I wish I could ride with you guys more: I have enjoyed the two outings and I do hope to make more in future. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pirtek888

Pirtek888

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Sorry ... I forgot the real question which was "what do we want from the site". Well, I would rather meet people on rides than sit at the computer, but that said, I think the site provides a valuable opportunity to exchange ideas and information regarding bikes and motorcycling. I am not a real computer maniac, so I am not so interested in coming on-line for extensive chats or posting. My real interest is using this Forum to gain access to friends who I can ride with. The opportunity to paste questions, get answers and generally 'stay in touch' is great! Smile
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for the comments Pirtek appreciated.
I think we all have varying commitments which is completely understandable.
For me well I'm happy to keep inputting what and where I can, if we all catch up occasionally then great.
I also like the fact it is for vulcans and we can share ideas etc.
All in all its a great bunch of people and I dont see the personality clashes here that i see on some other sites which is fantastic.
I think if I were to sum up what I want from the site would be to make a few new friends and go on a few rides.
So to that end I seem to be achieving it thus far.

Now lets get out on the bikes cheers
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Well said Stew,

I would just hope some of the new members would feel comfortable enough to contribute to the site!
Not in the sense of running it but more comments on varying topics and maybe even join us on some rides.
I just hope we dont scare people away from what is a family friendly site with some really decent people by our
lack of activity both in rides and posting

Aj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do people want from this site   What do people want from this site Empty

Back to top Go down

What do people want from this site
Page 1 of 1