Go for rides and make new friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go for rides and make new friends

Sydney Vulcan Riders - Club Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today

Go down 
+2
Pirtek888
Ed
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ed

Ed

Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today Empty
PostSubject: Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today   Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Most here will be surprised to read this from me but I actually raced a Hardly today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy.

I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of the Putty Road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the bends have warning signs that say "MAX SPEED 50 kmh".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. Three corners later, I was on his mudguard. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out-power me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me
more determined than ever.

My only hope was to out-brake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him and took him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more kms to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took a few kms before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred metres. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the mountain and I had
preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of British iron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled so hard in my life. And, some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle.......

Last edited by Ed on Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pirtek888

Pirtek888

PostSubject: Re: Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today   Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy had me sucked in !!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I was reading this wondering why you would be out riding the Putty Road in this crap weather and found myself very concerned that your "attitude" had taken a nose-dive Ed ! I felt very concerned that you were talking of courage and bravery in relation to motorcycles rather than a more 'moderate' approach of safety and enjoyment! Laughing Well done Ed cheers
Back to top Go down
MrKruser
Admin
MrKruser

PostSubject: Re: Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today   Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Was he an old man...?

Sounds like fun..... well done.!
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today   Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:16 am

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
roddy27

roddy27

PostSubject: Re: Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today   Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 6:37 am

dont tell me harry was out riding ed .
Back to top Go down
Mr L8ter

PostSubject: Re: Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today   Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 2:18 am

Ha Ha Ha, very good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today   Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today Empty

Back to top Go down

Rode the Putty Rd and raced a Hardly today
Page 1 of 1