Go for rides and make new friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go for rides and make new friends

Sydney Vulcan Riders - Club Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ed

Ed

Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD Empty
PostSubject: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 5:05 pm

FarRide # 16 to Euston was a great event. The next one is to Eungella. I have no idea what route I will take and have had some thoughts of going via Nindigully for another $35 hamburger or even Longreach. Whatever happens, happens and I hope more SVR members will join us for the journey.

Unsure about the FarRider philosophy of riding ? FarRiders undertake to ride a given distance (min 1,000km) in a 24 hour period. There is a finish time (see details below). Providing you travel 1,000km within a 24 hour period, either before or after the check in time, you will qualify as a FarRider for that event. As an example, if the checkin time was 12:00 noon on the Saturday, you could choose to ride say 400 km to check in, with a documented start time of 8:00 am Saturday and then complete the remaining 600 km anytime before 8:00 am the next morning. Any questions, just ask or check the event at http://www.farriders.com/

Registrations are now open at the above site.

This particular ride is 1,830 from Sydney. One choice is to ride to a point 830 km from Eungella and then ride the remaining 1,000 km from noon Friday to check in. The choices are endless and part of the fun in a FarRide is in the planning of it.

Ride Details:

Destination : EUNGELLA, QLD (pronounced Youngilla)
Date : Saturday 1st October 2011
Time : 11:30am to 12.00 noon This is the time to get there, aim for 11:30am.

No checkins will be allowed prior to the checkpoint opening at 11:30am.
The checkin time window closes at 12:00:01
No starting docket with a time earlier than Friday 30th September 12:00 noon will be accepted

12:30 Lunch @ The Eungella Chalet

Place : Eungella is located 81 kilometres by road west of Mackay, Queensland.
1,040km from Brisbane
1,830km from Sydney (via Goondiwindi)
2,300km from Melbourne
2,800km from Adelaide
GPS: S21.13173 E148.49222
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 5:00 am

My plan, at this stage, is to travel via Nindigully, then Longreach, Proserpine and Eungella. The ride via longreach vs straight up the coast, adds less than 1,000 km but gives the trip a whole new excitement.

View Larger Map
Back to top Go down
Pirtek888

Pirtek888

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Ed,
I am thinking seriously about doing the Eungella FarRide. This will be my third FarRide (if I go). I love the concept and I love the idea of a good few days away on the bike. I have a long standing invite to a Ulysses function at Nana Glen (near Coffs Harbour) on the same weekend which I would hate to miss. Torn between the two events at this stage.

If I did go, I will be tempted to leave Newcastle on the Friday morning (06:00 or so) and travel as many kilometres as I could reasonably do on that day (thinking around 1200k or so). (I was thinking of following the inland highway but going through Roma and Emerald). That would leave me with a start option on the Saturday morning to clock up around 500k to get into the Eungella check-in. I could then have lunch and depart with a view of completing the remaining required K's on the way home.

I would put in another solid day on the Saturday, with an overnight stay en-route to Nana Glen. This would get me into Nana Glen on the Sunday arvo, giving me a chance to spend a few hours with my friends there. Stay Sunday night with them and then home to Newcastle on the Monday afternoon. Therefore, the actual FarRide would essentially occupy me from Friday morning to Sunday arvo.

Based on the travel route you have listed, what are your general thoughts re departure dates\times and overnight stays?

Ian
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Tentatively as follows:

Tuesday Sept 27 Day 1: Sydney - Nindigully, staying at Nindigully Pub (794 km)
Wednesday Sept 28 Day 2: Nindigully - Longreach (868 km)
Thursday Sept 29 Day 3: Rest day & touristy stuff at Longreach (has been on my list for a while)
Friday Sept 30 Day 4: Depart Longreach at noon to Bowen Village Caravan park (847 km)
Saturday Day 5, Ayr - to arrive Enungella at 11:30 (222 km)

What may or is likely to change is the distance on the Friday. If I could decrease that to say a 750 km leg from Longreach, that would be good. Perhaps I could just wing it and find accomodation when I feel like it. Adjust the Saturday leg accordingly.

Staying at Eungella Saturday night.

Back to top Go down
Pirtek888

Pirtek888

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 am

I envy your few days away Ed. I am stuck at work until Thursday afternoon at the earliest. Crying or Very sad
At this stage the best I can do is a Friday departure. If I do make it to Eungella then I will be sure to keep an eye out for you. I hope you have a very safe and fun-filled trip. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks Ian.

Look forward to catching up on the Sat. You staying at Eungella Saturday night?
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 10:15 am

Change of plans:

Sunday 25 September Day 1: Sydney Grafton. Stay at Grafton 2 nights (656km)
Tuesday Sept 27 Day 1: Grafton - Nindigully, staying at Nindigully Pub (561km)
Wednesday Sept 28 Day 2: Nindigully - Longreach (868 km)
Thursday Sept 29 Day 3: Rest day & touristy stuff at Longreach (has been on my list for a while)
Friday Sept 30 Day 4: Depart Longreach at noon to Rockhampton (687km)
Saturday Day 5, Depart very early to arrive Enungella by 11:30 (407km)

I decreased the Friday leg but it means a probable 5:30 start on the Saturday.

Staying at Eungella Saturday night, returning via the coast.

View Larger Map
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:50 am

Saying it was an awesome ride and destination kinda belittles the event. It has been a full week and I will post some pics tonight. Rudi and Ian are still up there and will be back in a day or so.

At the last minute, I decided to tackle a SS1600 on the return trip and hope it gets certified as such. Departed Eungella at 7:30am Sunday and rode the 1,815 km day and night via the inland roads (Tamworth etc) to finish at my local servo at 7:18 am Sydney time, so I had an hour to spare. Not as tiring or sore as I thought it would be, but I won't rush to do it again soon. So yes AJ, with the exception of sharing the road with Rudi as far as Grafton on the forward trip and the final leg of 400 km from Rocky with both Rudi and Ian, I rode solo to Longreach + the 690 km to Rocky and of course the return trip. You could say it was ridden how FarRides should be. We look forward to Nambucca Heads.

Some stones were removed from the area surrounding Davo's memorial and with the permission of his widow, these will be engraved and sent to the USA to be part of a bigger memorial. That's my understanding anyway. The rocks were passed around to empower them with our love.

I hope more members will take the opportunity to join more FarRides in the future.
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Great to hear your home safe and sound mate! and a effing SS1600 to boot, what a ripper!
I am really looking forward to the ride report and pics. Nambucca is a ripper weekend too Ed
look forward to seeing yourself and many many other there next year!!!

Aj
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 12:42 am

Back to top Go down
roddy27

roddy27

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:12 pm

looks like a great ride was had ed and fantastic scenery

glad to hear you all had a safe trip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD   Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD Empty

Back to top Go down

Sat 1st October FarRide # 17 Eungella QLD
Page 1 of 1