Go for rides and make new friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go for rides and make new friends

Sydney Vulcan Riders - Club Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Noisy squeak on the VN

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ed

Ed

Noisy squeak on the VN Empty
PostSubject: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:05 am

Some of you noticed I had a squeak on the VN. Turns out the belt drive was a little bit loose. Sydney City M/C at Lane Cove couldn't recall adjusting it at it's last service, so did it today at no cost.
Back to top Go down
Spock900

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 am

Ed wrote:
Some of you noticed I had a squeak on the VN. Turns out the belt drive was a little bit loose. Sydney City M/C at Lane Cove couldn't recall adjusting it at it's last service, so did it today at no cost.

Good to hear they sorted it out! Are they pretty good to deal with generally?
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:31 am

Justin at Lane Cove Service Department is particularly friendly and helpful and will always give you his time to assist. Greg in Spares is also very good. At the end of the day, you have to trust someone with your bike and I am happy with the service there. Not happy with the cost of servicing generally and how quickly they seem to come around, but hey, what price safety.

Will need new tyres at the 12,000 service (about 2,000 to go). What sort of mileage is everyone else getting. They recommend at the change a switch to Bridgestone. A deeper tread and a bit stickier for better grip.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Ed glad to hear you get good service. I dont. They guys at Kwaka bikebiz are almost anti helpful if there is such a word.
I have been trying to find out whether I can put a PCV on an 08 model for 2 weeks. No one rings you back.
When I phoned them again to follow up they suggested I install it to test it. If I knew how to do that and had a dyno I would have.
Anyway am looking for a new mechanic.
Not sure on the tyres I'm up round the 9,500k mark now so wont be too far off. The bridgestones sound good
Back to top Go down
Spock900

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 1:56 am

I think that Ed was talking about Sydney City Motorcycles at Lane Cove, not BikeBiz?

With your Power Commander I have just had a look at the the Pc website. the instruction manuals for the PCV versus the PCIII are almost identical except for the connection of one extra wire on the PCV to the brow/black wire on the VN throttle position sensor. The pictures look like they may have even been re-used for the instruction manual. Now unless the engine or EFI has undergone some significant change from 2006-2008 to 2009 then I don't see why a PCV would not work in your 08 model. I am not sure why they only state 2009 models will work with the PCV on their website unless this is in reference to the majority of bikes or something to do with US/European emissions rules? I'll shoot them an email and ask why. I would like the latest power commander if I am going to buy one at some stage.
Back to top Go down
Spock900

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 2:18 am

Just spoke to Power Commander in the US. The reason they do not sell the PC-V for any other bike than 2009 models is that they do not plan to test them with any thing other than 2009 models and onwards.

Pretty narrow minded I reckon given there are lots more bikes out there that are a few years old with customers waiting to buy their product.

I have emailed their tech support to see if I get a better answer as to whether there is a technical reason the PC-V would not work in a 2007/2008 model
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 2:24 am

Thanks Cam, yeah I meant I should try Sydney City as Bike Biz are crap.
I thought the same as you I can see no reason why it wouldn't work.
The PCV seems to be a much better product then the PC111. The guy at Westend motor Sport where I get a lot of gear in the states recons he put it on his 07 with no problem. He is happy to exchange it so has nothing to gain by telling me this. I would like ot put the V on it.
I wouldn't think they would change the electrics that much between the 08 and 09.

I guess that leaves me with trying to put it in myself and testing it before taking over to the dyno. I'm not overly sure how to do this though. The instructions are sort of clear but doesn't look that easy. Anyone that wants to help muck around with it is welcome Laughing
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 2:32 am

Thanks for the info.
I suspected it might be something like that. They probably have a lot of PC111 they still need to sell as well.
So if I had it custom mapped on the dyno it should not really matter if PC test it or supply maps. Be really interested to know what they say.
Thanks Cam
Back to top Go down
DALE9251

DALE9251

PostSubject: Squeak   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 10:11 am

Ed wrote:

Ed, glad to hear you got it fixed!
I recall mentioning to you that I though the noise was coming from the rear pulley!
I wasn't to far wrong Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Spock900

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 am

Was reading the article below and it made me think of that squeaking noise Ed. Be careful that your belt isn't too tight!

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/113804-vulcan-900-output-shaft-bearing-toast.html
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 1:10 am

Spock900 wrote:
Was reading the article below and it made me think of that squeaking noise Ed. Be careful that your belt isn't too tight!

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/113804-vulcan-900-output-shaft-bearing-toast.html

That's a good thread. A lot of variables to consider. I need new tyres in about a fortnight and the 12,000 service. I will give SCM a copy of the thread. After the service, from Oct 5, I'm heading off to Ayers Rock with a mate on a BMW1200 LT. Should be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Spock900

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 am

Ed wrote:
Spock900 wrote:

That's a good thread. A lot of variables to consider. I need new tyres in about a fortnight and the 12,000 service. I will give SCM a copy of the thread. After the service, from Oct 5, I'm heading off to Ayers Rock with a mate on a BMW1200 LT. Should be awesome.

A few of the boys on the AKRON forum have had similar concerns/issues as well.

Sounds like a good idea to give them that thread. I might have to look at visiting SCM for my 12K service. Maybe they could do a discount for SVR crew?

Ayer's Rock, that will be an adventure!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noisy squeak on the VN   Noisy squeak on the VN Empty

Back to top Go down

Noisy squeak on the VN
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Go for rides and make new friends :: General Talks :: Bikes-
Jump to: