Go for rides and make new friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go for rides and make new friends

Sydney Vulcan Riders - Club Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bridgestone GT

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stew066

stew066

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 10:03 pm

I needed to get a new set of tyres in QLD and have gone for the bridgestone GT. So far very happy with them feel like they handle much better then the OEM tyre.
Have been on the in the dry and the very wet and felt great. If your looking for an alternate tyre from the OEM and have a classic maybe worth a try.
Night Dragons are only available for the custom I think (as far as I can tell).
Cost wise I picked them up for 420 fitted, so not too bad I thought.
Just a little plug for Pro Cycles at Nerang Gold Coast, great service if only I could find a shop in Sydney this good, friendly and helpful!!!!
Back to top Go down
MrKruser
Admin
MrKruser

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi Stew,

How many Ks on your clock when you replaced your tyres?

I feel like I need a new one too. It's 9200 on mine at the moment and I feel like my rear trye (especially), is getting old.

When I start after stopping on traffic lights, someetimes it skids.
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Welcome back Stew. I'd love to get the Night Dragons from Pirelli, but can't find one that will fit the front 21" wheel.

I replaced mine just before Uluru at 12,000 km with Dunlops (Oem). Coming uyp to 24,000 so may change them again at the next service. The thing is when bought new, I had tubeless on the front. SCM now say because I have spoked I need tubes on the front. I don't have traditional spokes, but alloy moulded. I don't know whose right. Would prefer tubeless as then I could fix a puncture.

N.B. My speedo is out by 10%. Acccording to the Dyno, at 110 kmh I am only doing about 100kmh, so I probably do my services at 7,000 intervals or a bit less rather than 6,000. There is a product called Speedohealer that recalibrates your bike but it costs a few hundred. Will look into it and let you know.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:22 am

Hi guys.
Harry I replaced my a lot later then I should have, but being a cheap ass I thought i could get maybe another 1000ks out of them I should have done it at 12000 but stretched it out to 13200 but they were really bad by then, really bad. I reckon 12000 is about right for the dunlops but if your skidding then time for a new one.
Ed as far as I you dont have to have tubes in your front wheel as it is not a spoke wheel as such. Did it come as a tube tyre? The night dragons are tubeless but they do apparently fit the custom or so I hear. They don't have anything suitable for the classic. Having said that I did not realise that Bridgestone made one either so there you go, I was think of maybe putting Metzler on it and giving them a try. They are all about the same price
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:57 am

It is a tubed tyre that they put on. I will check in more detail before next refit. I should easily get 13,000 km.
Back to top Go down
MrKruser
Admin
MrKruser

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks guys.

I will wait a bit longer and will be more careful and see how it goes. Maybe see what they think when I do the next service.
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 2:29 pm

I emailed a supplier in the States re the Pirelli Dragons, as follows (bear in mind I have the custom):

We do have them available the rear is 139.99 and the front is 87.99

Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 6:43 AM
To: Bikesupport
Subject: FW: Pirelli Dragons for Kawasaki VN 900 CUSTOM

Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 2:53 AM
To: Motorcycle Superstore Customer Service
Subject: Pirelli Dragons for Kawasaki VN 900 CUSTOM

I have a 2009 Kawasaki VN 900 custom and would like to use the Pirelli Night Dragons on both the front and rear wheels.

Currently I have Dunlop. Specs are:

Front 80/90-21 M/C 48H

Rear 180/70-15 M/C 76H

Do the Night Dragons produce tyres to suit the above?

Regards
Ed
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:47 am

OK, have been checking the Pirellis.

The Night Dragons have had good reviews.

The rear tyre has no problem for me, the sizing is available for the custom. However, my current front tyre is a 80/90-21 M/C 48H. The closest Night Dragon I can find is 90/90 - 21 M/C 54H TL. Don't know the significance of those minor differences.

However, I came across the Pirelli MT 66 Route tyres.

These offer a perfect match for the custom. There have also been some very good reviews from USA users. Check these reviews:

MT 66 Route Tyre Review

MT 88 Route Review

One guy on that last review talks of having done 20,000 miles on his. Different roads/country but it would be fantastic to get that sort of life from a tyre, or even close.

Worth considering. I know Harry is due for some soon.

I called SCM at Kogarah for prices on the MT 66 Route for the custom. Front is $135.00 with the rear @ $245.00.

They also said, contrary to what I had been told, that I could have tubeless on the front. No use having a repair kit and compressor if I can't repair a front wheel puncture.
Back to top Go down
MrKruser
Admin
MrKruser

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks Ed,

I will definetely consider it and look into it a bit more when he time comes.

Maybe I will wait until my 12K service.
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:46 am

20,000 miles. Can you inagine getting 30,000 + km from a tyre.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:07 am

seems too good to be true
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 4:49 am

A lot of variables to consider when buying tyres. Came across this comparison site:

Tyre Reviews

I also emailed a Pirelli dealer in Qld re the different sizes on the 21" etc. He replied with:

Dear Ed,

Thanks for your enquiry regarding Pirelli Motorcycle tyres for your bike.

Either Night Dragon or Route 66 is suitable for the VN900 Custom. In the night Dragon the front size is an MH90-21, which is the imperial version of the 80/90-21 tyre and is the equivalent size.

Both the Route 66 and the Night Dragon are cruiser tyres, but the Night Dragon uses the latest technology in terms of compound, shape and overall performance. The Night Dragon is more expensive than the Route 66 ( but on a par with other brands on the market) so if the cheapest price is important Route 66 is best, but for outright performance Night Dragon is the pick of the two tyres.

If your rims are tubeless it will be no problem to fit tubeless tyres. If however your rims are tube type, it would be advisable to fit tubes with either tube type or tubeless tyres. I would advise that you check with Kawasaki in relation to whether your rims are tube type or tubeless.

If you can let me know what area you live, I would be happy to recommend your local Pirelli stockist to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Don Nicholas
Product Manager Pirelli
Link International
PH: 0733825000
www.linkint.com.au
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 am

Thats interesting and a really good response. I wish people in Sydney were as helpful as those in QLD.
I checked my mileage today and couldn't believe its nearly time for 18k service seems like im always getting it serviced.
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:09 am

The mechanics at SCM know me by name. What does that tell you. I have just hit 24k, but will extend the next service out to 25k and get new tyres as well. After speaking with Rudy today, I think I'm leaning back towards the Night Dragons. If I'm not happy with them, will try the MT 66's next time.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am

I would go for night dragons though I hear they can be a bit suspect in the wet.
Back to top Go down
Pirtek888

Pirtek888

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Just put a new set of Metzler 880's on the VN1600. The mechanic said he would not go past them for a cruiser of this size. Had been using the standard Bridgestone Exedra's but Jamie from Sportcycles (Newcastle) reckons the Metzlers are the best option on the market at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 am

Getting Pirelli Night Dragons installed tomorrow. Lloyd Pen Motorcycles at Artarmon said once he has the old tyre off he can determine if the front can be tubeless which I prefer for ease of fixing a puncture.
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 10:27 pm

Well, the Night Dragons are on. He also replaced the rear brake disc. All up $500. Don't know if that's reasonable or not. BTW, the front is now tubeless.

Will report back in 12,000 km re wear. Shouldn't take long to do those kms. If I'm not happy with how long they last, I'll change to the MT66 although he said they don't come in tubeless format.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bridgestone GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bridgestone GT   Bridgestone GT Empty

Back to top Go down

Bridgestone GT
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Go for rides and make new friends :: General Talks :: Tyres-
Jump to: