Go for rides and make new friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go for rides and make new friends

Sydney Vulcan Riders - Club Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Puncture Repair Kit

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ed

Ed

Puncture Repair Kit Empty
PostSubject: Puncture Repair Kit   Puncture Repair Kit EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:28 am

I have had a few occasions where either my bike or someone else's has had a need to repair punctures, especially on a recent Sofala trip.

Most people (all) that I know use the traditional sticky worm and glue method and it is quite successful, if not awkward, requiring a lot of effort to insert the worm.

I have received a kit from www.pashnit.com called the Stop n Go tyre plugger gun.

The Plugger Gun is a spring loaded device that 'drives' the plug into the hole. The shaft of the plug expands under pressure to fill the puncture. The mushroom head of the plug seats on the inner wall allowing no air to escape. This ensures maximum reliability from its revolutionary design.

The following video demonstrates ease of use.

I called in at a mates place the other night to practice with the Stop n Go puncture kit. Paul had fixed a largish puncture on his bike with the traditional 'worm' fix. Took some effort to remove that worm and we then set up the tools for the new style plug from Stop n Go.

Worked effortlessly enough. However, after inflating the tyre, we found it did have a leak. In all fairness, this hole was now probably bigger than the plug was meant for, but we tried again, this time covering the hole prior to plugging, with glue. Another attempt and this time it seemed fine. I SW Paul yesterday and he said it had held nicely.

In terms of effort, the Plug n Go was easy vs the sometimes difficult insertion of the traditional worm. It is recommended that you store your plugs in a plastic bag with a dose of Silicone Spray ($6 a can from Bunnings) to keep them supple.

The main difference I see is that the plug is pulled back against the inside tyre, stopping it from falling out. I will probably use some glue in all repairs.

Definately pleased with the kit but may carry both the plugs and worms. Not much more to carry as most tools suit both kits.

Some pics from the repair:

Would recommend the kit to all tubeless tyre owners.
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: Puncture Repair Kit   Puncture Repair Kit EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks for taking the time to post this report Ed, its always good to hear a fellow riders opinion on a product!

Back to top Go down
Verna

PostSubject: Re: Puncture Repair Kit   Puncture Repair Kit EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:33 am

Agreed. I admit I carry a repair kit of some sort but have never had the need to use it. I sometimes wonder if I will have the ability and / or strength to make use of it. Never seen one used before and obviously never used one.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Puncture Repair Kit   Puncture Repair Kit EmptySun May 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks Ed interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puncture Repair Kit   Puncture Repair Kit Empty

Back to top Go down

Puncture Repair Kit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Go for rides and make new friends :: Idea Sharing Board: Questions and answers :: Servicing-
Jump to: