Go for rides and make new friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go for rides and make new friends

Sydney Vulcan Riders - Club Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Long Ride Preparation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Verna

Long Ride Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:47 am

Hi All,

H and I have the opportunity to do a couple of weeks riding next month and we have decided we are going to take our time and head up somewhere into QLD and back (company welcome if the stars align for anyone) . Thing is that neither of us have done much long distance riding before. I have gone to Byron once which I really enjoyed but this will be much more protracted.

The only positive is we have no real hard deadlines or destinations so we can go as far (or not) as we feel capable on any given day. Probably a good thing given our relative inexperience on long rides.

Anyway I was hoping I could get some advice on what I need to do in preparation.
Lists of equipment and other checklists would be really helpful. What have you guys found useful and irreplaceable on trips?

In particular advice on tires (just how many co2 canisters does one need for a tire?) and east coast recovery services would be good. I'm actually kinda worried about what happens if we have a mechanical failure out in the absolute middle of nowhere.

All advice welcome.
Back to top Go down
stew066

stew066

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Verna, i think Ed had a checklist on his site somewhere I will see if I can find it. AJ does lots of long rides so sure he can suggest something. [i] think Ed is King of long rides though with 60,000k's up affraid
Breakdowns are a concern I too would be interested to know anyone's thoughts other than the NRMA (which can be very helpful)
Back to top Go down
Verna

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Speak up people. Don't be shy and don't let H and I find out things the hard way.
Oh yeah I am also interested in how one fixes a tubed tire puncture.
Can that really be done kerbside? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Lots of questions Verna. No short answer and depends on your abilities as a mechanic and ability to carry stuff. This isn't my list, but it's a start. I usually find I take too many clothes. A trick of Rudi's is to purchase prepaid post packs and mail back any clothes or items you no longer need. Similarly, if you know where you are staying, pre send any items you may want.

So far as fixing a tubed tyre, good luck. Wheel has to come off and then you need to get the tyre off and back on again. Not a roadside job. Why have you got tubes? I run tubeless Pirelli MT 66 Route on both the front and rear. You can buy slime stuff for injection into a tube, but I have only used it once back in 1974. It did work enough to get to a repairer. Change tyres to tubeless at first opportunity.

Check my thread on puncture kits at:

https://sydneyvulcanriders.forumotion.com/t397-puncture-repair-kit

Cartridges are easy to carry and something that you can replenish on the way. I favour having a compressor though. Inexpensive ones can be bought from auto one etc.

Be sure to get roadside assist from NRMA or similar.

The best advice is to service your bike before the trip and tell them your trip plans.

Learn how to check oil levels and how to top up if needed.

Where are you travelling to and what dates?

Trip Check List

Papers

•Driving license
•Tow Truck numbers

Communications

•Mobile phone charged
•Cardo Q2 Charged

Spare Parts

•Spare key
•Fuses

Camera Equipment

•Photo camera
•Spare batteries
•Extra SD card
•Tripod

Tools

•Spanners
•Ratchet and bits
•Tire puncture fix
•Flash light
•Motorcycle manual
•Octupus straps
•Electrical tape
•Duct Tape
•Disk lock

First Aid

•Complete kit

Toiletries

•Sun lotion
•Tissues

Extra Riding gear

•Clear visor
•Good wet weather gear
•Boots

Orientation

•Area map
•GPS
•Itinerary

Miscellaneous

•Credit card
•Cash
•Water bottle
•Waterproof bags for electronics
Back to top Go down
Verna

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:03 am

Lots to consider there. I have tubeless tires and a kit (with from memory 3 CO2 canisters) but I will look into a compressor.
In my mind they are rather bulky and heavy but I am hopefully mistaken. H however does have tubed tires. From the sounds of it should one of them get a puncture its roadside assistance time and a tow truck to nearest town. They are very new though so unless she rides over something silly we should be Ok (I hope).

My mechanical abilities aren't real good to be honest. Common sense stuff sure but anything more serious and I am probably in trouble. Can do oil filters and air filters and the like and some basic electrical if I have too but beyond that its a bit of a mystery to me.

Both bikes will have a service before the ride and a week or two to ensure that its all good after the service before our big ride which will be early to mid September.

We should have reasonable storage. Both of us will have saddlebags and a large rear seat / sissy bar bag but I am sure its never enough. Of course if you really want to take enough you would need a car (or a Can-Am).

Spare key. Smile Good call. I wouldn't have thought of that!

Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 3:12 pm

http://www.slime.com/product/111/Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator-(%2340001).html

i swear by the slime compressor, can inflate my rear from dead flat will little effort just a bit slow!!
canisters are great if your in a hurry (maybe caught in rain) to start off with the finish with the compressor
obviously the plug kit etc like you have
as for everything else its a matter of personal preferance
basic tool kit is handy, pliers screw drivers gaffa tape cable ties
premium nrma membership/roadside assist and thats my running gear

then its my comfort
extra gloves
throttle lock or boss
camel pack!!!! one of the most important items, staying hydrated means good concentration levels
quicker reflexes
heated grips
i take a pair of jeans 2 shirts and 2 sets of skins washing the skins in the shower each night they are dry by morning
1 jacket. this is of course apart from my riding gear.
swag - for those nights under the stars

for me thats enough for a 2 - 3 week road trip

please remember the camera as NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!! enjoy your ride Verna

Coupleof links from FarRiders / IBA

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

http://www.farriders.com/files/Fatigue.pdf

Aj
Back to top Go down
Verna

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:17 am

That's a fantastically small compressor.
Looks like Repco carry them in the US and at least did at some point in Australia,
I will have to go see if they still carry them. Seems ideal.
Back to top Go down
aj1249

aj1249

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Repco did have them on sale a month or so ago for $49 and they do work well
I do carry my own tyre pressure guage as well cause i dont trust servo's

Aj
Back to top Go down
Verna

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Well tomorrow is the start of our trip.
We have packed everything we can think of and we still have room for more which I find a little scary.
I know its really not that big a deal but this is our first trip and the butterflies have set in.
I am sure there is something important we have forgotten - but hey its not like we are dropping off the edge of the earth.

Anyway I will try to take lots of pictures and post them here on our return. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ed

Ed

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Have a safe and fun trip Verna. Look forward to the reports.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Ride Preparation   Long Ride Preparation Empty

Back to top Go down

Long Ride Preparation
Page 1 of 1